My ferret George is on two pain medicines because of the lytic bone lesion in his leg. We have a consultation on Monday with a surgeon and will probably have to move forward with amputating his leg. If that’s the case, which is very likely, they said they can do the surgery the same day. They forgot to mention whether or not he should continue to take his meds and our regular vet doesn't know and the surgical center is not open. We left them a message just in case any staff were there to see it, but probably won't hear back from them. The two medications are metacam and gabapentin. Since we didn't hear anything different from anyone, we'll keep giving him the meds because he is in pain. But does anyone know if this will mean he can't have the surgery on Monday? We'd like to get the surgery done ASAP, especially with the holiday this week!
Agreed. Stop the metacam but continue with the gabapentin. Alternatively if you feel uncomfortable doing that right now(understandable) talk to the vet Monday, and let them know what he is on. They may postpone the surgery for 3-4 days until it's safe.
Ferrets: Contessa, Frankenfurter, Butterscotch. Kitties: Watson, Oskar DIP Sinnead, Vincent, Boris, Zeus and Athena, Willow, Mr. Frodo, Indie, Lucrezia, Judge, Odin, Miss Emily, Suki, Cody, Aristotle. RIP Herne, Ligeia, and Mr. Stubbs