Post by Corvidophile on Aug 5, 2017 10:30:20 GMT -5
NJ is a rabies mandatory state so I've been giving yearly shots, this is year three, so shot #4 if one counts the Marshall's shot as a baby, and out of nowhere he began fainting and puking about an hour after the visit. Rushed him back to the vet who gave him epinephrine and dexamethasone and left him on an IV drip for about 15 gut wrenching minutes before declaring him ok and bringing him back out. He had been given a Benadryl injection prior as well. What a horrible night. He had no trouble in the past!
Now that this has happened, what else should I avoid besides rabies injections? Other inoculations, like distemper? Any other injectable meds I should be wary of? What else uses the same delivery fluids that caused the anaphylaxis?
Well, rabies is definitely out. We don't do it anyway, and we don't let anyone handle our ferts unsupervised, but I guess you know that. What's left is distemper, and there's a growing consensus that it's not needed every year unless there's reported outbreak in your area.
Your vet is a better one to ask about the cross-reactivity of the distemper vax. Personally I wouldn't risk it. Unless you live in an area that has distemper breakouts, and you take them outside, I tend to be of the opinion that the vaccine isn't worth it anyways. Distemper has a much higher reaction rate in ferrets, and it doesn't prevent distemper, just reduces the risk of them getting it, and *possibly* the severity if they do. It's not worth the risk at baseline IMO *unless* you live in a distemper heavy area. With a ferret with history of vaccine reactions...I really wouldn't chance it. But that is a very personal decision to make, and one you and your vet should talk carefully about.
RE the benadryl pre-dosing, many vets and owners are starting to recommend *against* that as it can mask more minor reactions (aka he might have had a minor reaction on a prev vaccine and you didn't even know it), AND it can mask the earlier symptoms of a more severe reaction so that symptoms don't appear right away and by then, as you experienced, you are no longer at the clinic where help is immediate. Many vets have people wait in the clinic for 20-30min to watch for signs of a reaction as well. Definitely a precaution worth taking, as any delay can be fatal for some. Not saying this to make you feel bad by ANY means, just a general statement for your future info. I am VERY glad your little one came out okay. I have seen a vaccine reaction in a dog before and they are terrifying. : (
As for rabies, your vet can write you a letter of exemption if him not being current becomes an issue. Though honestly, even in places where it is "required" there is rarely anyone going around checking unless you regularly bring your ferrets out in public and allow others to handle them, or you live in a rental that requires documentation,
Post by Corvidophile on Aug 6, 2017 8:13:03 GMT -5
Thank you for all the thoughts. It was indeed scary. He does bite, but it's light and without mal intent, just taunting and teasing, you'd have to be out to get me to call it a BITE-bite. The vet did mention a letter of exemption but hasn't gotten back to me yet, says it's the first one she'll have to do.