Jo/Zee3P0's Switching Thread/Sunnyberra Nov 28, 2011 20:09:10 GMT -5
Post by Heather on Nov 28, 2011 20:09:10 GMT -5
HF Forum Username: jo/zee3p0
1. Where did you first learn about natural diets for ferrets?
Since I got into ferrets really, but mainly about the meat and not the 3 proteins bones and whole prey until about a month or so ago, (I have fed bones and whole prey before though, as treats and teeth cleaners)
2. Please describe the type of diet you would like assistance in switching your ferret(s) to. Be sure to include if you are interested in feeding whole prey (live or frozen-thawed) and if you are wanting to FULLY switch to a natural diet or PARTIALLY. If you are unsure what kind of diet you want to put your ferrets on, please express that and we can help you find the best type of natural diet for your ferret.
Switch to a fully raw and natural diet with whole prey and sometimes live prey (it's illegal here so not too often ) I'm also currently planning on setting up a feeder colony.
3. Why are you interested in switching your ferrets to a natural diet?
To improve my ferrets health and lifestyle
4. Do you understand that switching your ferret to a natural diet can be a lengthy, arduous process? Its not an overnight switch. It can be a commitment of several weeks or even months. Your HF Mentor will be more then happy to assist you in switchng your ferret(s) to a natural diet, but you need to be equally as commited. If you aren't willing to tough out a potentially lengthy switching process, or if you have major life changes approaching (baby on the way, moving, starting school, getting married/divorced, etc) then it might be a better idea to wait on switching your ferret's diet until you have more time. Are you willing to make the commitment?
I currently have 4 months off of school so I have all the time in the world really, apart from the next week or so because I'm doing work experience. I am fully commited!
5. How many ferrets do you currently have? What are their names? Ages? Genders? Do they have any health problems? Are they overweight? Underweight? How long have you had each ferret for?
I have 4 ferrets currently.
Health problems: It seems like he has a reoccuring liver infection so my vet has suggested a low fat diet (Can explain in more detail)
Weight: He weighs roughly 1.12kg (I can weigh him I just need to find or buy some scales)
I've had gomez since he was 6 weeks old...
Age: roughly 3
Health problems: None that we are aware of
Weight: I would say under a kg or 1kg - I will weigh him
I've had Bert for about 2 years now
Age: 1 1/2
health problems: none
I've had her since she was 12 weeks old
Name: Caprica (she is morticias almost identical twin)
Age: 1 1/2
health problems: none
weight: 1.1kg or above
ive had her since she was 12 weeks old
6. What diet do you currently feed your ferrets? (Please include all treats, supplements, etc)
Raw mince or meat chunks (chicken, veal, rabbit, beef), chicken necks, egg and lactose free milk as a treat, pumpkin, oil for a treat, nutrigel as a treat, mice once or twice a month (they are expensive here )
7. Have you ever tried to switch your ferrets to a natural diet in the past? If yes, what happened?
They are on a somewhat natural diet currently.
8. What additional information about yourself or your ferrets would you like to share?
When I am at tafe my schedule is very up and down so I need to work out some sort of feeding schedule for my mum to feed them if im not hope hopefully you can help with this?
9. How often during the week do you have access to a computer?
I'm on a computer almost 24/7 and if Im not i have the proboards app on my phone
10. Please post a picture of each of your ferrets (if possible).
I took some photos on my iphone that I can upload at a later time if you would like, I don't have photos of every ferret on this computer unfortunately, sorry
Hi and welcome to the mentoring program. In a little while your mentor (Sunnyberra) will introduce herself and you can get started on a new adventure in natural ferret care and diets. Please remember to post regularly (daily or as per arranged with your mentor) so that your mentor can assist you move along safely in this adventure. If you experience computer difficulties or are going to be away, please notify your mentor and most of all relax and have fun . Your mentor is here to help you on this journey.