Post by PatienceTheVirtue on Mar 18, 2020 15:21:31 GMT -5
I'm a first time ferret owner and have been looking up everything imaginable. One thing I've heard a lot about is the implant to prevent or cure adrenal disease. When should this first be introduced? I've read within a year after they've been fixed but that may not be an option.
The fur babies I'm picking up this weekend turned a year March 8th from what I was told. Vets are all closed due to the virus panic unless it's for an emergency. Is waiting until they open going to be dangerous? Is there anything I can do at all to make it less dangerous?
I'd love any and all insight about this topic, it's one I haven't gotten enough information on in my readings so far.
Edit to include:
I've also read there are monthly shots and other such things that are options. Which is most cost effective and least dangerous?
Post by bluedragonshai on Mar 18, 2020 16:50:57 GMT -5
ive always seen it as a no guaranteed thing but of a higher risk my friend has two boys both been snipped, and quite old, one of them has it the other hasn't unless my friend got lucky, if it was me though I would start implanting as soon as I knew the ferret had it, as for monthly shots ive never heard of that, ive never had to give mine jabs do you mean implant jabs or the health jabs dog have each year?
Post by PatienceTheVirtue on Mar 18, 2020 17:08:12 GMT -5
bluedragonshai The implant and shot are also used as prevention, which is why I'm so interested. I feel like it would be more cost effective to get ahead of the problem, plus less uncomfortable for the ferret. Even if I'd never end up needing it, it's also a huge peace of mind thing for me. I over-worry all the time lol.
It says that there's a monthly shot called Lupron and then a 6 month implant called Deslorelin/Suprelorin. I don't know which is preferred currently because a lot of the information on the website is outdated, so I wanted to bring attention to it for varied answers. Hopefully someone knows what's up because I definitely don't lol.
To help prevent adrenal, the implant should be given at about 5 months old if possible (the idea is to get it done before the initial hormone surge as the ferret matures), and then readministered annually. From what I understand the monthly shot is much more expensive, and a once-a-year procedure is much more convenient than something you have to do every month anyhow. To give you an idea, getting the implant done in my area was about $300.
While you're waiting to get the implant, one thing you can do in the meantime that can help significantly is monitor the amount of daily light exposure. There's strong evidence that the lengthy periods of artificial light that most ferrets are exposed to plays a factor in the high rates of adrenal disease, especially here in the US. Ideally, they experience a light cycle that mimics the natural seasonal one. Of course, that's difficult in this day and age since we're often up after sunset, so what you can do is provide dark, closed off places to sleep, and use a light-blocking cage cover.
Most people tend to do the Deslorelin/suprelorin implant. Less visits to the vet this way and overall less expensive in the long run. With the Lupron shots it would have to be done monthly and each time I'd go into the vet I'd have to pay for the vet visit and the shot.
It also depends on where you are and how accessible the implant is too. Try to find an exotic vet. I'm in Canada and getting the implant requires our vets to fill out forms just to get them sent in to Canada. The implant is used as a chemical castration but it also works to help slow down adrenal disease. It doesn't stop or cure it but slows it down. Sometimes some ferrets are fortunate and don't get it.
Post by PatienceTheVirtue on Mar 20, 2020 14:55:22 GMT -5
All of these resources are AMAZING! I especially appreciate the ones from the doctors unclejoe I can barely manage to find information outside of this website let alone ones that have credentials to back it up. I have my reading laid out for me for the next little while, thanks again!
My current plan is limiting the fake light, which should be easy enough because we also had parrots up until recently and they needed their light restricted to natural daylight times as well.
I will do my research on the 4-5 exotic vets in my area and then make an appointment for the implant as soon as the virus stuff goes away - probably scheduled around January. They will be much older at that point, but I've seen people saying the implant should start around 2 years old, and it should always be near January due to hormone fluctuations. Since it's too late to go back in time for them and start it at 5 months, and the veterinary offices are all closed from the virus, it seems like the best option for us.
If anyone has further advice, I'm absolutely all ears! Thanks again for the help so far, we appreciate it