I need some insight on what would be the best route for my girl, Ripley. She was surrendered to me alongside her brother, Gusgus, about a month ago. She had almost no fur left and was being fed Meow Mix. I asked the owner what vet she took them to, and the answer was "none". So I took them in for a check up and Ripley obviously has adrenal. She took 2 shots of Lupron and the Dr wants to keep the 2 shots/month for 3 months to see how she reacts.
Last night she started to act a little weird, losing balance, very lethargic, a bit dehydrated, glossy eyed... I took her to the vet this morning to get some bloodwork done and check for insulinoma. Her BG came at 59 and het ALT was so high (over 2 thousand) the machine couldn't even read it. The Dr said he isn't worried about insulinoma (according to him, he only worried if it's 40 below), instead he's worried about what's going on with her liver - which he doesn't really know. He put her on amoxicilin and pred, what I thought it was weird as if he's not worried about insulinoma, then why put her on pred? (aside from the fact that a BG of 59 screams insulinoma to me). I live in UT and we really lack knowledgeable ferret vets here, that's why I'm looking for thoughts and inputs on this case. I don't know if I should keep up with the pred or not, as it can be very harsh on her tummy and her liver as well. Any suggestion is appreciated! Thank you!
Last Edit: Jun 14, 2016 22:52:15 GMT -5 by Deleted
I am so sorry about your Ripley. Since medical experience is not my strong suit then I will tag some more experienced ferrents for you. It's late and so many of them are in different parts of the world. SherryHeatherbitbyter and @maja will respond when they are online. I wish you all the best and will be sending healing thoughts to Ripley.
One thought is to look for an exotic specialist not just a regular vet who most often only sees cats and dogs.
I agree that a BG of 59 will most often mean Insulinoma but unfortunately as you already know Adrenal is also an issue. Prednisolone will be easier on her than Prednisone and consider adding Diazoxide once her diagnosis of Insulinoma is confirmed. All my best wishes to you and your Ripley
I would be treating the insulinoma first, which the poor wee mite definitely has. It's going to throw all your blood work off. Once treated then you can treat adrenal if that's present and other issues. Yes the liver functions are way off but the insulinoma must be treated and not a disease you can put on the back burner and wait. The pred is an anti inflammatory. How much and how often are you giving it? Are you just supposed to give it BID for an indefinite period of time? or are you supposed to ween the ferret off after a couple of weeks. ciao