so i have my ferrets for three months now and we just made a decision to move from u.s. to u.k. (yes back to home sweet home) of course we want to get our babies with us but there is a problem? our ferrets do not have a microchip like uk needs us to have and they have done their rabies vax, i know that we need to make blood tests and everything before they give us the passport. the real questions is? has anyone ever micro chipped their ferrets?
also, uk does not accept pets to be carried on board but need to be shipped as cargo and i have no idea how that needs to work or how long it will take of how much it will cost us. also isnt cargo dangerous for animals?
i dont know if any of few attempted anything like that again but if you do or if any of you know anything about this please please let me know. thank you!!!!
Have you checked into the fact that your ferrets have to be quarantined as well? All animals coming into the UK from a rabies sensitive area has to be quarantined. They are now accepting titres as a means to shorten the quarantine from 6 months to several weeks (I think).....for ferrets the quarantine may still hold. No ferrets cannot be carry on they have to be shipped as luggage in a airtransport regulated carrier and only specific carriers will handle them....that's not the hardest part though. Having done the import from the UK to Canada and the US I strongly suggest you pay the fees and get a broker. They make all the arrangements, clear the paperwork (some of it is very time sensitive), see that your guys have their rabies (this is the only vaccine required by law) during the proper window and coordinate the paper work with this. Your doing the harder of the imports...taking a pet into a rabies free country. It's not impossible but it's very difficult and believe me there are a lot of scary rules and regulations and it's very expensive. I don't want to discourage you but you should be aware of what you're getting into. ciao
Well I didn't read anything about quarantine in the uks goverment website it only saud that yhey wobt be needing quarantine if theu are up to date with their shots and everything is in order. to be honest I will make sure to check again. Well I am european I have a eu passport. Is it the sane if we go for vacation? Do we have to do the same procedure? I also have a cat.
Last Edit: Jun 26, 2014 13:12:04 GMT -5 by kraesmom
The US Department of Agriculture site has the up to date information. The USDA regulations are used by vets for traveling patients. You should have a representative in your area that your vet can contact as well.
You definitely need to start talking to your vet a few MONTHS ahead of time. Some countries have very strict regulations on the timing of everything. I've seen some pretty devastating situations when people waited too long and had to leave pets behind either temporarily or permanently.
I agree. This can be scary as even different ministries who are dealing with the same thing sometimes differ on what they expect. In the end the vet and the boarder people rule and can change everything as they choose. If all your papers are in order (the scary part)and you've got your contacts listed and available it should go off without issue. That's why I prefer to use a pet broker ciao
Post by dorena261-Natalia on Jun 25, 2014 5:22:53 GMT -5
my ferrets are all microchiped, it's by the law here. Some airlines give you the opportunity to have them as hand baggage in a small well fixated transport bag under the seat, but you have to check that with airline company. really don't know anything else for the UK. good luck
So I have a problem according to what I read on the website u provided. The rabbies vax is considered primary on all three of my pets. My ferrets didnt have a microchip qhen they got the vax which means I have to implant the microchips and revaccinate them which probably mwans I have to wait a year. Right? I will talk to my vet as well see what options I have. But I will definetely delay my trip if it means taking them with me
I see no reason you have to wait a year. If you mean for the vaccine, there's no reason you can't give the next vaccine early. Barring a vaccine reaction, it won't hurt them. If you are concerned, look into getting a Titer instead and see if they will accept that in place of another vaccine. Oh and I forgot to answer earlier, though others already have I guess - both of my boys are microchipped. If, heavens forbid, they ever escaped I can't imagine having them Not be chipped. I've seen many, many pets make it home because of a microchip that otherwise would have been in the shelter...
Hi have the microchip fitted if your vet is used to seeing the ferrets he should simply need to add the microchip number to there file then obtain the paper work from maff for them and all the relevant info is written in by your vet when you go also get your vet to administer a wormer (panicure ) this way they cant say they have not been given a wormer ( some vets at airports can be picky )good luck with your travel plans oh also check what size crate will be needed certain planes only accept certain types of travel crate take care bye for now Bev
i am concerned a lot...i dont know if i should take them because in case something is wrong they will have to go into quarantine. with the cat is easy because she had her vax regustered under the micro chip. with the ferrets we have to do everthing from scratch. everything it will cost at least 500 my vet told me. and then i have to do cargo for them as well and they need different crates too. that doesnt matter. what scares me the most is the guarantine. i will make a huge research on the weekend and figure out everything by monday and i will let you know. cargo scares me as well....